Saturday 27 January 2018

MEANS TO DEFEND MY RELIGION

MEANS TO DEFEND MY RELIGION

Cornelius Afebu Omonokhua

 

It was 1979! My father needed me to experience life outside the boarding house. shared a room with Ibrahim. My life style influenced him tremendously without knowing that what I was doing would later be clear to me as witness of life. Now know that I was practising dialogue of life and religious experience. It was a very hot afternoon when we returned from school very hungry. Climbing Jattu hill in Etsako West of Edo State, Nigeria was akin to climbing Mount Sinai. We dropped our books and hurried to the market to buy ingredients to cook. As we were buying vegetables, a young girl appeared and gave Ibrahim a very dirty slapThe girl had mistaken Ibrahim for someone else. I held him and ensuredthat he did not revenge. Ibrahim said, leave me to teach her a lesson. As I kept holding him, the girl gave him another slap!Ibrahim now was in a rage and shouted, “Afebu, it is your Bible, that says turn the other cheek”. I became scared but luckily, the girl was taken away by her friends.

 

The next day, there was a loud cry from a neighbouring house. What is happening? We enquired. We were told that the girl who slapped somebody in the market yesterday had died in her sleep. Ibrahim was frightened and wondered how he could be freed from the case since it is sometimes difficult to prove the dead guilty. The eye witnesses who took the girl away testified that Ibrahim did not avenge the rage of the girl. That saved my good friend. Ibrahim called me and said, “O boy, the bible is right. Turn the other cheek” (Matthew 5:39). 

 

Then I shared with him my experiences from my grandfather Ekhaisomi who was a Muslim. I told him how the approach of my grandfather to life and peaceful co-existence has endeared me to love Muslims as showed in our relationship. My grandfather lived and defended Islam as a religion of peace with acts of generosity and care for everyone that came his way. He would prefer to die than to lie or cheat anybody. He taught my mother never to fight or quarrel with my father. My mother told me that her father warned her never to pay evil with evil and to love those who do not wish her well. My mother never told me about those who wished me death and evil when I was growing up. According to Veronica, my mother, she needed me to grow gracefully without hatred in my heart. Till today, Ibrahim never stopped saying: “Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: It is mine to avenge; I will repay, says the Lord” (Romans 12:19).

 

Every religion preaches peace hence I wonder why human blood keeps flowing on the earth like ocean. Human beings are soaked in this blood while the dogs and baboons moved freely. Cows have suddenly assumed the value and the dignity above human beings. The value of human beings and that ofcow has become a national debateOakTV and other media reported Aishatu Dukku (representing DakkuNafadaconstituency in Gombe) when she took the floor of the House in the debate: “The herdsman values the life of his cow more than his own life. That is how God created him(www.tori.org). I am wondering if Aishatu was quoting the Holy Qur’an or the Holy BiblePerhaps, God could have spoken to her directly akin to a prophetess. wonder because the Holy Qur’an, Surat Al-Baqarah (7:11) reveals that thedignity of the human person is higher than that of the angels hence God commanded the angels to bow to Adam. In the same Qur’an, human life is so sacred such that if you kill one person, it is as if you have killed the whole of humanity (Qur’an 5:32). In the Holy Bible, Human beings are created in God’s image and likeness (Genesis 1:27). 

 

Which scriptures are the killer herdsmen using in their mission? Are they killing to defend God, their Religion, their ethnicity, their life or just for economic survival? Who owns the cows that they love more than their own lives? Who provides them the weapons? Why have they not been declared terrorists? Honestly, who are the herdsmen fighting for? If they are fighting for God, what kind of God could enjoy such killings? If they are fighting for their ethnic group, whatpicture of their tribe are they presenting? If they are fighting to promote their religion, what character of the founder of thatreligion are they promotingIf it is a political agenda, are they not spoiling the chances of their candidates in the election?

 

To defend my religion, I need to promote the values of what I believe and in whom I believe. I need to take as a role model Jesus Christ who is my Lord, Saviour, Redeemer and Master. Some people have asked if there is a Christian agenda or plan for Christians to Christianize Nigeria. I think the answer is in the affirmative. Jesus is the agenda and plan for every Christian. He came to reveal to humanity the true image of the invisible God who is the creator of heaven and earth. Jesus is the full revelation of the God of peace, love, mercy and compassion. In defending my religion, I consider all the passages and verses of the Old Testament of the Holy Bible that talk about war and violence as anachronistic in the modern world. I leave the context of the content of those war verses to die in the antediluvian world

 

Jesus the Prophet, King and Priest is the way and the life. His life of over two thousand years remains valid forever. His life and teachings are the valid means to defend any religion. He is the New Law and the New Testament for all generations. He is the credible mode of operation and law of operation. He came to transform the old and present the true God in a way and manner that challenges humanity to be perfect like God(Matthew 5:33-48). His manifesto is our manifesto: “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me toproclaim the Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour (Luke 4:18-19). He came to give us life in abundance (John 10:10).

 

Here is the Christian agenda for the whole world: “Go into the entire world and preach the Gospel to every creature. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved (Mark 16:15-16)Jesus did not command his followers to kill unbelieversin the name of God as if God is not strong enough to defend himself. In fact, whoever draws the sword would die by the sword (Matthew 26:52). To defend my religion, the weapons at my disposal are the corporal works of mercy that are found in the teachings of JesusThe corporal works of mercy are, to bury the dead, visit the imprisoned, feed the hungry, shelter the homeless, clothe the naked, visit the sick and refresh the thirsty. This is what Nigerians need in this era that Nigeria is almost synonymous to suffering. This gives us a model for how we should treat others as enshrined in the golden rule: “Love your neighbour as yourself (Mark 12:31).  These virtues when properly practised can sincerely convert the world. These virtues could defend your religion as a religion of peace and that can lead true believers to salvation on the last day. 

 

The mission of every human being on earth is to love God andserve him. The vision is to be happy and live with God in heaven. The only sincere conversion is a change to good character. Conversion by coercion is not religion! A forced convert is forever a slaveTrue conversion happens with the Word of God and not with the sword of terrorist jihadists. The Word of God and good works transform a believer. I pray that all partners of dialogue may convert the world into earthly paradiseWe can convert Nigeria without using governmentmachineryYou do not need AK47 and bombs to defendreligion. Let people embrace your religion by imitating your good life. By your fruits, you will make genuine convertsDirect people to worship God and not you the preacher!Convert the world to God and not to your private pockets and empire! In God’s house, there is a space for everyone (John 14:2). May we be saved after our life on earth!

 

Fr. Cornelius Omonokhua is the Director of Mission and Dialogue of the Catholic Secretariat of Nigeria (omonokhuac@gmail.com)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment